Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Brooklyn Beer Dinner with Garrett Oliver at Alamo Lakecreek

Without a doubt, Garrett Oliver is the King of Beer and Food. The man is not only knowledgeable in both domains, he is a wonderfully charming speaker that leaves the crowd swooning.  Yes, swooning.  As a founding member of Slow Food USA (check out this event in Austin) and culinary globetrotter, his short lectures at beer dinners are enlightening and humorous.  The Brooklyn Brewery dinner at Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek is no exception.  A big thanks to Nate Seale and the Alamo Drafthouse for having me as their guest. 

The first dish up was Poutin - frites (fries) with Wisconsin cheese curds, brown gravy, and peppered bacon paired with Brooklyn Local 2.  The Local 2 was an excellent match that cut through the fat (mmmm.....fat) content in this dish.

Second course was Chingri Malai - prawns, curry, lemongrass, and coconut milk paired with Brooklyn Cuvee De Cardoz.  This food and beer pairing was my absolute favorite.  This brightly flavored beer was the collaboration between brewmaster Garrett Oliver and Floyd Cardoz, executive chef at New York City restaurant Tabla.  The spice profile on this beer leaves you thinking, "I like it, but I'm not really sure what it is."  The creamy and spicy Chingri Malai was the perfect accompaniment. A big kudos to Chef Paul and Brewmaster Garrett Oliver for bringing these two fabulous offerings together.

I like the icon in the back.

Waterzooi - Belgian chicken stew with baguette served with Brooklyn Local 1.  Oh wheeee!

Pumpkin Graham crackers, local 2 marshmallows, and Belgian Chocolate smores paired with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.  I've said many times that photos are worth a thousand words.  Yep. I'm speechless, but I have a picture.  This pairing was also amazingly delicious.  I should add that both the pumpkin graham cracker and marshmallows were made in house.
Afterwards, I had a chance to chat with Garrett and Chef Paul for a while, and I got a spiffy autographed pint glass. 

Chilling with Garrett and Paul

My uber spiffy autographed pint glass. 
This dinner was fantastic.  As you can see from the photos and my smiling mug, you ought not miss the next one.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Brooklyn Beer dinner! I enjoyed meeting you Sunday--and I'm so glad we don't owe you a new flash :)

    ReplyDelete