Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Roasted Citrus Edamame - Inspired by the Scraps Dinner at Ramen Tastuya

I had this dish (pictured below) by Chefs Tim Dornon from Uchiko, Tatsu Aikawa of Ramen Tatsuya, and Paul Qui from East Side Kings.  I loved it so much that I decided to make a version of it.   It had a great roastiness/charred flavor and just a kick of spice. There was a great tang in the dish, which I created with meyer lemon.  So put together some ingredients and tried to approximate the flavors.  Here's my version. 
Ingredients:
  • 1 bag of frozen edamame (I used a 16 oz bag)
  • 1 swig of sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons of oil.  Canola is best for higher heat.
  • Juice of one meyer lemon.
  • Spices to taste.  I used red pepper flakes, but you could use togarashi spice.
  • Pinch of salt.
  • Optional: Chopped onion or garlic
Heat up oil (I actually used extra virgin olive oil because I didn't have canola) in a skillet.  Once piping hot, carefully add the frozen edamame to the skillet.  Stir like crazy.  You want to make sure that you toss the edamame every 30 seconds or so they don't burn.  You do want them to get a little roasty, but not burned.  Add in chopped onion or garlic if you like.  Cook until the the onions are start to become translucent.  Add the spices and the lemon juice.  Drizzle with the swig of sesame oil.  Give the edamame a quick stir, and it is ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment