Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Vietnamese Food in New Orleans

During my stint in New Orleans, I took researching Vietnamese food seriously.  I tried many establishments, several times before I made up my mind - and there were many who did not make the list.  Here's the results of my research.
  • Best Overall Dishes: Hoa Hong 9 Roses 1100 Stephens St  Gretna, LA 70053
    (504) 366-7665
    •  The dishes here are amazing.  I've had the Vietnamese Crepe, bird's nest dish, and grilled pork dishes that were out of the water.
    • My favorite dish is the grilled pork with rice cake.  Get it. 
  • Second Best Dishes: Tan Dinh  1705 Lafayette St  Gretna, LA 70053
    (504) 361-8008
    • The coconut rice cakes that come with make of the main courses are quite delicious.
    • The chicken wings and quail were really delicious as well, however, the way they were served was really awkward and uncomfortable to eat. 
      • I have hard time understanding how to eat the quail in a steamed bun.  Many tiny bones don't really make it easy to eat. 
    • The service here is not very good at all.  Expect poor service and you won't be disappointed. 
  • Best Banh Mi: Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery and Restaurant 14207 Chef Menteur Hwy  New Orleans, LA 70129  (504) 254-0296
    • This isn't necessarily my favorite style of banh mi, but it is very, very, very delicious.  The bread was perfect.  The mayo was amazing.  Oh yes...... it is only a 15 minute drive away from downtown. 
  • Second Best Banh Mi:  Tan Dinh  1705 Lafayette St  Gretna, LA 70053
    (504) 361-8008
    • The banh mi here are tasty.  I'd eat them. 
  • Best Pastries: Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery and Restaurant 14207 Chef Menteur Hwy  New Orleans, LA 70129  (504) 254-0296
    • The pastries here are amazing.  I have not had Vietnamese pastries like this before. 
    • Get one of each pastry at least. I said at least.  They are amazing.  Did I mention that?
    • Meat pies.  Meat pies.  MEAT PIES!
    • I think the bakery was way better than the restaurant.

The quail at Tan Dinh were very tasty, but weird to eat.  How do you put a little bird with bones in a sandwich?

These chicken wings (available as an appetizer or as a mean) at Tan Dinh were very tasty and wonderfully crispy.  However, it was kind of weird to eat finger food with rice cakes. 

This is my favorite dish at Hoa Hong 9 Roses .  It is the grilled pork with rice cake. 

Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery had some rad cakes.  How's this for a dragon cake?

Aww..... a basket of flowers for me?

A close up the meat pies at Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery.  The bread is simply amazing. 

Here's a cross-section of one of the meat pies.  I dream of these pastries. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this great list. I have been wanting to explore Vietnamese food in New Orleans, but wasn't sure where to start. This is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete